There are many factors that can contribute to a better-performing air conditioner, including sealing air leaks around your home and upgrading insulation. Sealing ducts, however, should not be ignored, as the average homeowner has the potential to lose 20 percent of air traveling through leaky ducts.
Sealing ducts can therefore improve your cooling costs over the summer season and improve your comfort as well.
Unless you have your ductwork professionally evaluated, you might wonder how one can tell if sealing ducts is necessary. The following factors often indicate problematic ducts:
- Higher than usual energy bills
- Uncomfortable rooms throughout the home
- Portions of the ductwork are located in unconditioned areas of your home, like the attic
- Stuffy or stale air due to a lack of air flow
Sealing ducts is an effective energy-efficiency improvement project that offers homeowners more than just a potential 20 percent savings. You’ll also benefit from:
- Better indoor air quality – Pollutants can often get sucked into the ductwork, particularly in summer as the hotter outside air is drawn toward the cooler spaces inside your home.
- Improved home safety – When ducts leak, backdrafting can occur, a process whereby hazardous carbon monoxide can be drawn into the ducts from gas-powered equipment such as a water heater.
- Energy savings – When you can minimize energy losses by sealing ducts, you’ll see more savings on your monthly energy bills.
- Lower greenhouse gas emissions – While this is an intangible benefit, it might motivate you to know that an efficient system emits a lower carbon footprint.
Duct sealing is a relatively simple project that most homeowners can do. First, purchase mastic sealant or metal-backed tape. Both are designed to adhere to duct materials. Then, seal all of the connections that you can access.
It’s also important that, on occasion, you have a professional evaluate and seal ducts, because it’s impossible to reach the entire system, as portions of it will be hidden behind walls and floors.
If you’d like more information about sealing your home’s ducts, contact the professionals at Sherlock Heating & Air Conditioning. We serve San Diego area homeowners.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about ductwork and other HVAC topics, visit our website.
Sherlock Air services the greater San Diego and San Marcos, CA area. See our current promotions today!
|Sealing Air Leaks image via Shutterstock|