It’s not time to pack away the sweaters just yet. Chilly weather will continue for a couple of months in San Diego, especially at night when average temperatures hover in the 50s. It is essential that your furnace is in good working order during this time. Knowing when your furnace needs repair can prevent total system failure.
Heed the warnings
Keep an eye out for these five furnace warning signs that you need to pay attention to:
- Your energy bills are increasing but usage is not. This is an indication that the furnace’s performance isn’t up to speed because it’s using more energy to maintain the same temperature in the home.
- The furnace cycles on and off frequently.
- You see your furnace repair technician more often than you’d like due to frequent repairs.
- Your furnace begins making unusual and loud noises, such as rattling, buzzing or humming.
- The furnace is unable to heat the rooms in your home evenly.
Age is a factor
Age is an important consideration when you begin to notice these furnace warning signs. On average, furnaces last 20 to 30 years. However, if your furnace is more than 15 years old, and you’re experiencing frequent problems, it’s time to think about purchasing an energy efficient replacement unit.
For more tips on maintaining your furnace and keeping your home warm in chilly weather, contact us at Sherlock Heating and Air Conditioning, Inc. We have been proudly serving the San Diego area since 2002.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater San Diego and San Marcos, California area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about furnaces and other HVAC topics, visit our website.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock