Summer’s right around the corner, and now’s the time to make sure your air conditioner is up to the all-important task of keeping you cool through the sweltering days ahead. Here are some basic A/C maintenance tasks that you should perform before you flip the switch and chill out in the months ahead.
- Check the air filter for obstructions and replace it if it’s dirty. Dirty air filters cause an A/C unit to run inefficiently. In turn, this will cause your energy bill to rise considerably.
- Remove obstructions and debris from the condensing unit outside your home. Over the winter, dust, dirt and yard debris can collect around the condenser, which can block the airflow into the unit.
- Take a look at your indoor ventilation system. Make sure you remove furniture or other obstructions from the vents in your rooms. This makes it easier for air to circulate, allowing your A/C to cool your home more effectively and efficiently.
While the above A/C maintenance tasks are easy to perform, it’s best to hire an HVAC professional for the following chores as these tasks require specialized tools and training to properly complete.
- Check coolant levels and adjust as necessary while also checking for leaks in the system.
- Make sure ducts are clean and properly sealed.
- Test the airflow through the evaporator coil.
- Verify and adjust thermostat for accuracy.
- Check belts/motors for wear and tear, then replace as necessary.
- Inspect and tighten electrical connections as necessary.