It will soon be time to turn on the heat in your San Diego area home, and before you do, be sure to schedule your annual furnace tune-up to reap these far-reaching benefits:
- Greater system efficiency.
- Lower utility costs associated with heating your home.
- Extended operating life for your system
- Fewer breakdowns during the winter.
- Safe operation of your system.
- Lower carbon footprint due to fewer emissions.
The tune-up checklist varies among different companies, but a reputable and qualified contractor will ensure that these key tasks are performed to ensure the efficiency and safety of your furnace:
- Test for dangerous carbon monoxide leaks.
- Lubricate moving parts of your system to prevent friction.
- Inspect the ventilation system for obstructions and other damage.
- Check the gas pressure and burner combustion to ensure they meet system specifications.
- Clean and inspect the blower assembly for optimum airflow.
- Inspect the heat exchanger for cracks, corrosion and other damage.
- Test the controls to ensure proper cycling.
- Measure the voltage and current on the motor.
- Inspect your ductwork for loose joints and obstructions that result in air loss.
- Check your thermostat for accuracy.
Several things should be on your fall home maintenance checklist to ensure your furnace continues to operate safely and efficiently:
- Stock up on good-quality, pleated air filters. Check your filter every month, replacing it when it’s caked with debris. A clean filter improves your indoor air quality, protects your system from dust buildup, and ensures proper airflow to your system.
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and replace the old batteries with fresh ones. Make sure you have one of each type of detector on every floor in your home, with one near your bedrooms.
- Know the location of your gas shutoff valve and keep it accessible in case of an emergency.