It might be called “sunny California,” but that doesn’t mean you have to suffer through the heat. Nor does it means that you must always rely on the use of your air conditioner to keep the temperature of your San Diego home at a comfortable level. Let’s take a look at a few alternative ways to cool your home to ease some of your A/C’s workload.
- Upgrade your roof – Traditional roofing materials don’t do a great job at reflecting the sun and accounts for approximately 33 percent of the heat that comes into your home. A quick way to solve this problem is to apply a reflective coating to mitigate the solar heat.
- Paint your exterior walls – White exterior walls won’t make a huge difference, but you will see a small reduction in the amount of heat that enters your San Diego home.
- Coat your windows – Heat that comes in through your windows can account for as much as 40 percent of unwanted heat in your home. Coating your windows with either a sun-control or combination film will keep some of this heat outside.
- Insulate your attic – Insulation will do wonders to protect your home from the incoming heat. If you’re not confident you can do this yourself, hire a trusted HVAC technician who can make sure the job is done correctly.
- Use natural shading techniques – A tree can provide great protection from the sun, but most will take a long time to grow to an effective height. Alternate types of vegetation, such as bushes and vines, can add shade that will cut down the heat entering your home.
- Choose other shading techniques – If trees or vegetation aren’t realistic for your home, utilize interior and exterior shading products to keep your home cool.
- Learn to manage your house – Take full advantage of cool night and early morning outside temperatures. Open your windows when it’s cool outside, and close them up before the temperatures outside rise above your indoor comfort level. This way, you can delay turning on the A/C by two or three hours.
[cta_shortcode description=”We have extensive experience in the home comfort field and we are prepared to provide you with any assistance you may require.” site_link=”/contact-us/” cta_text=”Reach out to a Team Member Today!” ]